The release of Kdenlive 0.8.2 was slighlty delayed due to the discovery of a blocking issue that required last minute changes in MLT and Kdenlive.
I want to make sure that those changes don't cause regressions, so the idea is to ask users to test the latest Kdenlive development version (available for Ubuntu users on sunab's experimental repository). I am especially concerned about problems occuring when opening old Kdenlive project files.
Once we have some feedback and manage to fix a few remaining issues, we will release Kdenlive 0.8.2, which should hopefully happen around the 13th of august.
We are now in string freeze, so if you are interested to help translating Kdenlive in your language, get involved.
After that release, we will be moving to KDE's infrastructure to be part of KDE multimedia, and work on the refactoring branch to clean up the code and make it easier to understand / maintain / contribute.
While working hard in Randa, I implemented a feature that will make everyone happy: automatic backup of your project file!
We had a few reports on the forum of broken project files that were not recoverable. This is not a frequent issue, but losing all the work you have done on a video editing project is not fun! So after a short discussion with the Kdenlive team, here it is!
With this feature, every time you save your project file, instead of overwriting the existing version, it will create a dated backup of the previous version. In the Project menu, you will now have an Open Backup File entry that will bring up the dialog pictured here.
In the backup dialog, you see a list of all backuped versions of your project file with a nice screenshot of the timeline at the time the backup was made. You can then open any of the backup file to recover a previous version.
This is in svn and will be part of the next Kdenlive release.
A big thank you to all the people who made the Randa Sprint possible and so enjoyable!
At the moment nearly the whole Kdenlive team is hacking in Randa, Switzerland, at the KDE Sprint 2011. Don’t believe it? Here is the proof:
(From left to right, ttill, xzhayon, j-b-m, Granjow.) So, as you can see, we are totally busy coding and writing the manual. The main activities are:
Big refactoring which will improve our code base in terms of maintainability and (for new coders) readability. We created a new branch for the refactoring. When refactoring is complete, we should also be able to write some automated tests.
User manual; we are now definitely moving to KDE Userbase which is based on MediaWiki (you all know this from Wikipedia). It will also simplify translation. The first version of the Quickstart tutorial is already online.
GIT will be our new version control system at KDE multimedia.
That’s it so far! We’ll go back coding now. — Your Kdenlive developers
Several Kdenlive developers will meet in the next days in Randa (which will host a big KDE sprint) to exchange ideas and discuss about Kdenlive's evolution. I hope that we will come up with some great ideas, we will keep you informed!
So … this all started when a friend, Melanie, was working on her final paper about Light Graffiti and showed me the video below around mid-September.
Light Painting, also known as Light Graffiti or (partially) Lumasol, is so easy with a photo camera. You take a dark room, use a low shutter speed (several seconds), and paint in the air.
But what about video? You cannot decrease the shutter speed to one frame per minute. Therefore it is not possible.
This really made me think a lot. Actually for several weeks.
After a few minutes of research, I found that the effect used to create the video seems to be kept secret. (At least I couldn’t find any technical information about it.) After some additional research, I read that they actually did this effect in hardware (i.e. programming some camera chip) — but this was after I’d already written this blog post. (Actually, I’m not sure whether it is truely in hardware; some effects suggest that it was done in post as well, like in the part where you only see the light but not the painter.)
Nevertheless, the idea was fascinating, so I decided to start writing an effect frei0r filter that would do the same. It couldn’t be that hard.